Home

“Remember those who rule over you, who have spoken the word of God to you, whose faith follow, considering the outcome of their conduct.” – Hebrews 13:7

Shared Memories

If you have a special memory about Dr. Dave that you would like to share, feel free to post it on this wall for others to read.

Special Words Spoken Elsewhere…

149 Responses to Home

1. Hannah December 14, 2012 at 6:23 am #

This Ministry has been such a real blessing to me and I am located in the Caribbean. The resources do help growing christians and Dr Reid has truly lived a life that impacted many for God’s kingdom. How many of us can say that our talents, energy and time truly counted towards eternity? I know Dr Reid will be hearing God say “well done my good and faithful servant!”.

2. Sam Bechtle November 29, 2012 at 12:42 am #

I have known David intimately growing up as he was my first cousin and we often attended the same PB assembly growing up, and took our undergraduate engineering the same years at Rutgers University. His Dad, Uncle John, was my spiritual mentor growing up and often asked me “Where did you read in the Bible today?”. Uncle John persuaded me not to quit Rutgers in my sophomore or junior year. I have always been grateful for that. David was always smart and on the move. We attended a camp in CT one summer and came back loaded with firecrackers for which I was expelled from eigth grade for a few days. David went through a difficult time when he contacted Polio and was in isolation. He never wavered in his faith. I have always deeply respected Dave. The best trip of my life was taken on one of His tours to Israel, and he made the places we visited unforgetable and deeply moving. I was really saddened by his sudden homegoing in the past year. It was so like him to go in this fashion, with his boots on and heading down the expert trail!. Our prayers and thoughts are with Margie at this time.

3. Diann Hattaway October 18, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

I did not know, I am so very sorry. I had the pleasure to meet Dr. Dave when he came to Macon, Ga to speak at a Church. So blessed that I met him and learned so very much from his talks. I always wanted to go to Israel with one of his groups. So sorry for your loss. God bless you all!

4. Diann Hattaway October 18, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

I had the pleasure to meet him when he came to Macon, Ga and spoke at a Church. I am so sorry for your loss. I did not know that he had passed away. I always wanted to go on a Holy Land tour with one of his groups. I learned so much from his teachings. I know that Yeshua is happy to have him home, but he his missed here. God bless you all!

5. Tony Fraude July 28, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

I have been using growing christian’s bible studies for a couple of years now since i “discovered” whilst looking for some help from the internet in my bible study. I guess it is all God’s doing that He led me to find this website to study His word and how wonderful it is to grow in the knowledge of His words as He reveals it to me and all those who seek Him. I believe God had raised this faithful servant of His, Dr Dave Reid to be His mouthpiece and to share all the wonderful treasures from His Living Word. Everytime when I listened to the sermon preached by Dr. Dave, it’s as though I’m also seated with the congregation of Emmaus Bible College listening to this man of God speak. While Dr. Dave is back with our Lord, his voice is still heard whenever we lock onto the bible study. Truly Dr. Dave live up to the words of Paul in 2 Timothy 4:7-8 says, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.” As we look foward to that day, that’ll be one more person I’d like to see and thank.

6. Tom Kraus July 18, 2012 at 12:35 am #

I was blessed by Dr.Dave’s radio segment ” Talks for growing Christians” many times. I drove a parts delivery truck around the Dubuque Iowa – Tri State area for years and always looked forward to hearing Dr.Dave share Gods word in such a simple and understanding way that even a truck driver could understand :) And then how excited I was when my wife Becky Kraus ( Emmaus Bible College) arranged for me to be able to audit one of Dr Dave’s Pastoral Epistle classes at the college, what a blessing that was for me.

In Him,

Tom Kraus

7. Marcia and David Reid June 27, 2012 at 9:57 am #

We were so saddened to hear of Dr. Dave’s home going. We really enjoyed the time we spent with Dr. Dave when he ministered at Bridlewood, Ottawa Canada.The scary thing was that he and my David looked alike, and dressed alike, with the beige pants and button down shirts. They both had bypass surgery, and both skiers. Both wives have similar names. It was a running joke whenever we would see each other. We both truly enjoy Devotions for Growing Christians, and his wisdom and knowledge of the Word .
    May our great God and Father comfort you as only He can at this time. With our love, prayers and deepest respect, Marcia and David Reid.

8. Larry Kramer June 25, 2012 at 10:30 am #

I first met Dave Reid in the 1980’s at the then Emmaus Bible School in Oak Park, IL (now college in IA). Dr. Dave as we called him taught the Old Testament survey course I took and did a great job of informing us, but also making the bible come alive with many of his applications and comments. A few years ago I looked back at my OT survey notes and was chagrined to discover that many of my insights into scriptures that I used as I taught were not items that I (with the Lord’s guidance) had come up with, but rather were almost word for word items I had first heard in Dr. Dave’s (or other Emmaus) classes. This just goes to show how the Lord has used Dr. Dave’s teaching, sometimes in ways we are not even aware of!

One other precious memory of Dave Reid involves his father, John Reid. A year or two after leaving Emmaus I moved and came into fellowship at Terrill Road Bible Chapel in Fanwood NJ, where Dr. Dave’s parents John and Eunice Reid fellowshipped and ministered. Dave Reid was seminary trained, but his father John had no formal bible training, yet his knowledge and insights were rich. When meeting Dr. Dave again years later I mentioned that I now knew his Dad. He commented in return that he always stood in awe of the rich and deep knowledge that his father had of the scriptures and of the Lord Jesus. This really impressed on me that Dr. Dave did not rest proudly on professional training, but rather humbly acknowledged the Lord’s working and teaching, regardless of how/who it came through.

Anyway, this has rambled far more than I planned, but my memories of Dr. Dave are very good ones and I will miss his visits to our area. I am praying for Margie and the rest of his family.

9. Doreen McCubbin June 4, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

I met David Reid and his wife Margie about 20 years ago when they came to Jamaica at the invitation of the National Easter Convention Committee of the Christian Brethren Assemblies. It was our annual Easter Convention and Dr. Dave was our main speaker. I honestly do not remember what he preached about during the conference, but one thing I know is that I was spiritually strengthened as a result of his messages to us over that weekend. Both he and Margie were to me such humble, sweet down-to earth people who loved the Lord and showed it! I remember giving them a Jamaican souvenir that they loved so much. Dr. Dave put me on his Devotions for Growing Christians monthly mailing list and since then I have been constantly blessed by his messages in them. He gave me an autographed copy of his book ‘Devotions for Growing Christians’ which I have and will always cherish. On many occasions I have used that book during my morning devotions. I truly miss Dr. Dave and I pray that God will continue to bless the ministry, Margie, the children and the grandchildren. I know his soul is resting in peace.

10. Sherri (Turner) Newton May 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

I just received the Emmaus Alumni newsletter and was so sad to read the news. Dr. Dave was truly a great teacher! He knew how to share God’s word with us and his love for life showed every day. He always had a smile and always had time for us, whether is was playing sports or hanging out at the cafe.

My favorite memories where being baptized by him at Camp Berea, his wise and practical teachings and “songs” to help memorize, and hearing about his trips to Isreal (I always wanted to go on them).

My thoughts, love and prayers to his family.